Consumer Units & Distribution Boards Infomation
If your fuse box / consumer unit looks like this, then it is likely not to meet the current safety standard BS7671
Some disadvantages of this arrangement:
- Re-wireable fuses
- No RCD protection
- May have wooden back
- It is also likely that inspection & testing of the electrical installation has not been carried out for many years, if at all.
Your consumer unit should look similar to this arrangement
with dual RCD protection.
Some advantages of this arrangement:
- Miniature circuit breakers / No fuses
- Circuits split up with additional space for future additions
- Segregated safety RCD protection to all circuits
- Fully insulated enclosure
When replacing a consumer unit or fuse box all the existing circuits must be tested to comply with BS7671 wiring regulations and an Electrical Installation Certificate issued for the work. The work would then be notified so a Building Compliance Certificate can be issued. It is the law that a Building Compliance Certificate must be issued.
At SMD Electrical Services, we go a stage further than the above and we also make sure we test /check every existing circuit in accordance with BS7671. We check at every light switch / socket / accessory point etc. on every existing circuit. We then provide you with a report of observations made making sure we pick-up any areas of the existing installation that might pose a danger or non-compliance with the latest edition of the wiring regulations giving you real peace of mind.
- We check that the main earthing and main protective bonding arrangements are adequate and we will install them if not.
- We check the resistance of the earthing conductors of each circuit to every point or accessories that needs earthing to insure they are correctly earthed and that the tripping characteristics of the circuit breakers meet BS7671.
- We test the insulation of you existing cables completing an insulation resistance test using a high voltage to insure that we pick up any trouble that could cause a fire.
- We test the residual current device/s to make sure they disconnect in the correct time in accordance with BS7671. (These devices are a life saver)
- We record everything on a certificate / report.
Remember: Just because something works doesn’t mean its safe
SMD & Which?-Local Top Electrical Safety Tips Click Here Video
We Champion Electrical Safety
Tel. 01932 353209 (TPS Registered Numbers)
Mobile: 07815 478674